Fall officially starts on September 22! I am so excited for that cool, crisp air & the beautiful colors of the changing leaves. It is my favorite season of the year. When I am looking for a tasty, soul-warming, comforting food to take the chill off, soup is my go to recipe. I saw this wonderful soup on Pinterest & had to make this. It has been a pretty good while since we have been to Olive Garden, but it seems to be just like theirs.
I added a bit more ingredients because I wanted to freeze some for later.
I did use alternate for a few things.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into a small dice ( I used 3oz. real bacon pieces from the salad dressing isle)
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage, with casings removed (5 Mild Italian Sausage-for my little ones)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 yellow & 1/2 white)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (8)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken broth or stock (I used 8 chicken buillon cubes-1cube=1cup)
- 3 cups Russet potatoes, cubed ( I used about 2 pounds)
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 loose packed cups kale, in bite size pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream or 14 ounce can evaporated milk (24 oz. of evap. milk-I only found 12oz cans)
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving
1. In a large soup pot or sauce pan cook bacon over medium until crispy. Add sausage and break it apart as it cooks. Once sausage is browned drain off the grease. Leave a tablespoon or two to saute' onion.
2. Form a well in the middle of the cooked sausage and add onion to center; saute' until translucent; add garlic.
3. Stir in broth and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, simmer for about 20 minute or until potatoes are tender. (I let it simmer on med for about and hour)
4. Add kale and evaporated milk. Bring to a simmer. Serve and top with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
What kind of recipes do you love to make in the fall to take the chill off?
Crawling to Fall..........